Friday, February 8, 2008

For Example...

Yesterday I wrote about how I wanted this year's goals and objectives to be based in my faith. That's not always the rosiest and easiest path, as you probably know. In fact, I've come to realize that the harder you follow after God, the more challenges you are given the opportunity to overcome as you grow up in your faith.


Last year I had a huge faith test. I had owned a business for over six years, and found myself relying on the struggling real estate market and in the middle of a very difficult divorce. I was faced with the challenge of being a single mother of two very strong, intelligent little girls while leading my little company through very rough economic waters.


Now, I had sacrificed substantially, pouring my heart and soul into this business and I believed that God had put me in that professional position for his purposes. In the middle of the year, I stopped and looked at our changing economy and, more importantly, I looked into the face of my two beautiful daughters, who had been ravaged by the loss and pain of their father's and my difficult separation. At that point I knew I had to make a choice.


On one hand, I knew that a full-steam professional effort would give the company the chance to stay the course and ride out the terrible storms in the real estate market right now. On the other hand, I remembered that the entire reason I'd gotten into the real estate business was the desire to take care of my family, who now would actually be deprived by such a concerted professional effort.


When it came down to it, the decision about what to do with the business came down to being a good businessperson or being a good mother. And when you put it that way, the decision was a no-brainer. I closed my company within weeks, without regret, and have never looked back.


And I must say that from the moment I acted on the decision that I knew lined up with God's principles for me in this season of my life, it was almost like hearing his pleased sigh from the heavens, "Thank you for finally listening, Shannon. Now we can start!"


The wake of that decision has been awesome, in ways both terrifying and beautiful. There have been consequences--professional, financial, and to my reputation--that have not been pretty. Don't you know, following God doesn't relieve you of the results of your decisions. But more important than the hardships, I now have the opportunity to sow seed into the life that I've always believed I've been supposed to be living. I have the chance to homeschool my daughters and am spending quality time with them now that never would have been possible before. This has paid off in a huge way for them and for me.


So right now I'm in free fall, trusting that the parachute I've entrusted to God will open. Meanwhile, I'm watching and waiting as miracle after miracle occurs in my life. I'm so grateful that the circumstances boxed me in to make these decisions and that I'm right where this recovering control-freak needs to be--completely out of my own control, but right in the palm of God's hand.

No comments: